Thursday, January 11, 2018

Blog #1: Equity and UDL.

If you put any group of people together, chances are that they will all have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to learning. This is very evident in a classroom. Classrooms are now and always have been diverse. Research says that the different ways that students learn are as unique as their fingerprints. How does a teacher address the diverse needs of her students to ensure that all are learning no matter what barriers that are present?
Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a tool that can break down these barriers and build a foundation for all students  to learn, no matter their strengths, no matter their weakness. A UDL curriculum is made to be flexible and accommodate all kinds of learners. I can integrate UDL concepts into my classroom curriculum by identifying what I want my students to know, do and care about. When doing this I also need to address any barriers in my classroom that may get in the way of this goal.
UDL is made up of three categories:
1) Representation - show the information in different ways. 
2) Action and Expression- give students options for showing what they know. 
3) Engagement- give students choices that engage their ideas and interests. Encourage taking risks. 

UDL = Learning opportunities for ALL

I am excited to incorporate the UDL concepts into my curriculum so that all of my students will have a level playing field when it comes to learning. If I can do this than my classroom will be a place where students take risks, share ideas, and love learning. 

  1. What does the research say about this?
  2. How can this be effectively integrated into your teaching?
  3. How will this help your students?
  4. What are your goals with regard to this topic?
  5. How does this shape your vision for empowered learning for your students?

No comments:

Post a Comment